H. Pylori Breath Test
H. pylori is very common, with 50% of the world’s population currently infected, but most people never experience symptoms. However, getting tested is essential as H. pylori increases your risk of developing gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, and stomach cancer.
The H. pylori breath test is safe and straightforward. The test is conducted at the clinic, and results are ready right away. The nurse will connect you to a comfortable nasal breathing tube to automatically sample your breath for 10-15 minutes. Half way through the test, you will be given a solution mixed with 5 to 6 ounces of water to drink. The whole process will take about 30-40 minutes. Immediately after completion, your results will be ready to discuss with your doctor. You will be treated with antibiotics immediately if your test results indicate you have an H. pylori infection.
The urea breath test is used to detect and diagnose Helicobacter pylori (H.pylori) — a stomach bacteria. In preparation for the test, we recommend that you follow these guidelines:
- Don’t consume food or beverages 4 hours before your examination
- Don’t take antibiotics/antimicrobials 7 days before your examinations
- Don’t take bismuth preparations (Pepto-Bismol)/proton pump inhibitors 3 days before your examination
- Take only medications approved by your doctor
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, have any current health conditions, or are allergic to any medications